Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My PC still did not work - Step 6 to 10 ...

1) Next, I got back on the phone to the Vodafone help desk. They said all that they could think of is that I restore my system to a previous date when it last worked well. I thought – fantastic idea. I went back a few days prior to the error and one day extra for good luck. I rebooted and tried to install the modem and software again. I almost screamed when the software started rolling back again.
2) So, I got back on the phone to the Vodafone help desk. I told them what I had done and explained that I knew they were telling me it was a Windows error, but I had tried everything short of formatting my PC and re-installing Windows XP. You can just guess what came next – can’t you. They suggested that I backup, format and re-install Windows XP. So I did. Only, when I came to backup my PC would not backup my information. I had a lot of work on my PC and it kept coming up with the error: “Cannot move file xxxxxx filename is too long” No matter how short I made the filename the error would repeat itself. This process took me a whole day. In the end I switched the PC off and went to bed totally defeated and very irritable.
3) The next morning I woke up and tried to backup again. To no avail. I managed to backup about 50% of my work and lost the rest. I thought what the heck – I run an online business and every day that I cannot access mail I lose money – so let me just format and get it over with. I proceeded to boot from CD and delete the partition that my Windows XP was installed in. I then chose to format using the NTSC format (quick) selection and I painstakingly installed XP again. I did not install anything else. I tried the modem software again – guess what – it worked. I was so happy – that was – until I switched on my PC in the morning. I could not believe it – I was back to the: “Application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b) Click on OK to terminate the application error”. I was close to tears at this point. Not only had I reformatted and tried everything I knew, but I had also lost half my work and three days trying to get my PC fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment