Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Google Help again!

1) So I went online to Google – yet again. I found a new solution. This specific forum suggested that I use a registry cleaner because this fixed a similar error for them. It sounded logical - So I purchased a registry cleaner online – the best I could find and proceeded to clean the registry. Although it did not fix this error, the registry cleaner has been very helpful every since this episode for other registry errors that may have ended in disaster had I not had a cleaner. Anyway, back to our solution for this page. The result – lots of errors, a PC reboot and guess what…the software would still not install. It was now close into the night and I was getting more tired and more and more frustrated. I thought I would never find the solution. I shut down and went to sleep hating Windows XP, the PC and the modem (in my case) and the software.
2) When I woke up the next morning I thought – short of downloading a new software version for the modem I have done everything. So I downloaded the new and large complete software version off the manufacturer’s site. They said that it was new, updated and tweaked. I read further and saw that the driver that are installed also make a difference – so just to be safe I downloaded the drivers too. Now I was sure it was sorted out.
3) Well all I can say is that I thank my genes because the thing about me is that I am very persistent. I will not spend time – in this case day upon day – and then let the problem get the better of me. I would just not give up and this is where I made my breakthrough. I went online yet again. I came up with pages and pages of the same thing. I sifted through the web all day. Towards the afternoon I gave up and made lunch. After something to eat, I felt a whole lot better. I also knew that I had to get my online business up and running again – no matter what. You see for me – I could not afford to go out and buy another PC right now. What made matters worse is that my PC can only support Windows XP – or I would have just loaded Vista or similar. So, I got back online. This is when I thought there must be something, somewhere and as everyone I try in the technical support desks seems to think it is a Windows error – let me go back to the Windows Update. I could not find the same error. I did search for Windows XP updates and fixes though and I sifted through all of them. Most of them I had already downloaded tried and failed. The one that I found that I had not – though – was a Windows Malicious Tool that searched for viruses. I read it and I remember thinking that my PC had just been formatted and Windows XP reinstalled – it could not contain viruses. At this point I had no option and I thought – what the heck – let’s see if my Windows disk that I own has viruses. Let’s scan the PC. I did and you would not believe it – although there was nothing that could assist me in the scan – I was very tired and I read the completed sentence at the end of the scan very slowly and very thoroughly. It said something along these lines: Our malicious tool is designed to find and delete threats in your PC. There were xxxx threats that we could not delete – we suggest that you run a full Antivirus. I was shocked. I had heard of trial versions of tools that detected more threats than your PC had so that you would purchase the full software the company had designed. I thought – that must be it. I cannot have threats. Impossible. Then I sat back and I thought – this tool that I downloaded came from Windows technical support desk. There was no reason for them to gain anything out of an error like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment