Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I had tried everything ...Help please!

1) At this point I had tried everything – and I mean everything. So I thought: “What the heck!” I did not possess antivirus software so I went online and bought antivirus software. I made a dent in my credit card and then I did a thorough scan. It took way into the night – but the results were phenomenal. My PC had viruses – not only did it have it had plenty – 596 to be exact. Even more interesting was the fact that the viruses were all installed in the same place. The system restore directory. Now this was interesting. I thought about it and I realized that when I formatted and reinstalled Windows XP – I did a quick format. The system files remained intact. What’s more was that in my case – my PC was secondhand. The viruses that were found in the system files were not mine. They belonged to the previous owner. He or she had never done a complete format. Looks like everyone chooses the quick format option… Heck! The antivirus said it could not repair the files. The only option was to delete them. I looked where they were located and something clicked. They were all – yes all – all 596 of them – located in the system restore directory that I had used previously to try and restore Windows XP to a date that worked before. No wonder this had not worked for me. I debated and I thought that short of reformatting my PC yet again – with a complete format – I would still not know if the PC would work unless I deleted these viruses. I thought – oh well, I don’t use system restore often and what’s more – it was not working now anyway. So I hit delete. I rebooted my PC and took a short break. When I returned I glued my eyes to the screen whilst I tried to load the software again. Guess what? It installed. My PC was fixed.
2) I was really speechless. Who would have thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment